Rickety Bridge Franschhoek

Posted by on Apr 28, 2013

Rickety Bridge Franschhoek

The land that is now Rickety Bridge was part of the original La Provence farm. Over the years these properties were subdivided and on the 13th of May 1797 a quitrent grant was given in favour of the widow Paulina de Villiers, granting her the land she called Paulina’s Drift.

Paulina’s Drift was sold to Pieter de Villiers, under the name Zandrift. On the 15th of October 1813, a portion of the farm (the present Rickety Bridge) changed ownership to one Hendrick Lodewicus Pepler and on the 9th of February 1829 to his widow, Elizabeth Catharina de Villiers under the name Paulina’s Dal. “Dal” meaning valley, which was found at the other end of the river. She extended the farm and had 40,000 vines planted, producing grapes for wine and brandy. In 1831 Paulina’s Dal was given to her son, Abraham Johannes Pepler.