Kruger National Park

Kruger National Park February 2016

Posted by on Mar 23, 2016

Kruger National Park February 2016

The surface area of Kruger National Park is 7,580 square miles (19,633 square kms). The park was first proclaimed in 1898 as the Sabie Game Reserve by the then president of the Transvaal Republic, Paul Kruger. He first proposed the need to protect the animals of the Lowveld in 1884, but his revolutionary vision took another 12 years to be realised when the area between the Sabie and Crocodile Rivers was set aside for restricted hunting. James Stevenson-Hamilton (born in 1867) was appointed the park’s first warden on 1 July 1902. On 31 May 1926 the National Parks Act was proclaimed and with it the merging of the Sabie and Shingwedzi Game Reserves into the Kruger National Park.  The first motorists entered the park in 1927 for a fee of one pound. [Show as slideshow]...

Read More